Check out My Twitter

Tuesday 18 September 2012

Reading Reflection #1 + 2 put together

Reading Respone #1+2
 
Dead until Dark

Charlaine Harris

Pgs. #1-62

Starting to read this book took no time at all. Although I have a lot of questions that being to surface as I read. My very first one was what was Sookies disability? It was answered quickly when it was said that she could read other’s minds without even trying. After this was answered, it lead to why did everyone believe that she was crazy if she could for sure say exactly what you had been thinking? It wouldn’t be hard to prove it and what does she have to lose when everyone believes she’s crazy anyways. I’m sure she doesn’t want to use it because it makes it harder to stay around people if they are thinking hateful or degrading things. When a vampire shows up in town and not just any town, but a hill Billy trailer kind of town, you can’t help but wonder why he would chose that place to stay. The question was answered when he discussed with Sookie that someone from his family had died and he had gained land. He was tired of wandering from city to city. There was only one question that constantly stayed in my mind throughout my reading. Why was Bill drawn to Sookie? Yes she’s different and yes she’s more accepting but that doesn’t seem to be the whole reason. She is still a human after all. Being around human kind can be dangerous to a vampire, so why be with Sookie?

I didn’t have many predictions to make. My very first prediction was that a vampire was going to appear in the bar Sookie was working at. It was quite obvious with how much the Author had been foreshadowing in Sookies thoughts.  One was that Sookie would be attacked by the Rats after she saved Bill. It was correct. It happened a couple pages later. She was almost killed. My latest prediction is that somehow, Sookie is going to be caught up in a vampire mess she is no longer going to want to be a part of and it is going to threaten those she cares for. What kind of mess you ask? That is what I’m not quite sure of as of now.

Some comments I had we’re mostly on character traits. At first, I was not happy with the idea of the main character seeming as innocent as a child. She didn’t have that much experience or knowledge of the world. My view of her changed when Sookie took out the rats to save Bill from being drained of his blood. I began to admire her character more for her courageous traits. She had absolutely no hesitation. I also admired her Grandmother. She was so fascinated with the idea of vampires, she had no fear. Her open mind in this kind of situation was refreshing. If this we’re to ever happen in real life, I don’t think our world would react in the same light.

I had made a connection from text to text with this book and another series I have read. It’s called the Night Huntress series by Jeanine Frost. In her series, vampires, when they are old enough (called masters), we’re able to fly and levitate as Bill was able to do. Bill also said that every vampire can do something different it is also the same in that series. Some have telekinesis, telepathy, etc. Kind of like how humans have different traits that they are better at than others. I have also had a text to self connection when Sookie knew her gran had specifically stayed awake so she could get information out of Sookie about her walk with Bill. My parents have been known to sit in the porch and wait for us to come back. I’m sure Sookie shared my feelings in this time, very embarrassed. Another text to text connection I made was when Bill spoke of taking blood from willing prostitutes. That has to be a factor in almost every vampire book I have ever read. Must be because they are easy to manipulate, they will not be missed, and also are able to satisfy both of their needs.

2 comments:

  1. Great job discussing the history/charactersitics of vampires in this book vs. other books that you have read. Keep thinking and writing about that! Who is your favorite character so far in teh book? Have you see the tv series based on this book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite character in the book is Bill. I admire his want to be among humans and try to reclaim some of his humanity even though it can be hard to be around humans who will judge you because you have the "disease". Also his want to protect Sookie when it seems to be a bigger task than it would be for most people. No i haven't seen the tv series though my parents absolutely LOVE it. I would watch it, but since it is into the fifth season, it would take a lot of my time to catch up.

      Delete