Check out My Twitter

Monday 5 November 2012

Reading Reflection #8

Living Dead in Dallas

Charlaine Harris

Pgs. #180-291


This book was a very good one, I’d say even better than the last so I’m hoping as I continue this series it will get even more intense and suspenseful. It’s as if it cut off one part of the story until the next part was done. In my opinion it was separated into three parts.

Some questions that I have resemble my last response questions. Like who killed Lafayette?! It literally drove me crazy that she let that mystery stew until the end of the book when it was finally answered, even though he was killed literally in the 20 pages. It ended up being some of the towns folk who we’re a little bit too…exhilarated in their activities? It was a surprising turn of events for sure. Another question I had was why was Eric so willing to help Sookie? Of course we know why Bill does, because he loves her, but Eric doesn’t seem capable of that type of emotion. He seems more to be a slave to his lust than anything. I’m hoping to get a better read on his character in the books to follow. It’s a curiosity of mine.

This book ended up being slightly predictable, which was sometimes a good thing,  other times not so much. We all knew that Sookie going to the fellowship was a bad idea and that she was going to be captured, then rescued. This is how many books turn out. Obviously with this being a series, they can’t have something really bad happen to Sookie now can they? They obviously can’t kill off the main character in the second book. I however did not see this sex club to be made up of just humans. Of course there are some people who are sick in the mind and get carried away with their own sexual adventures but I still suspected there would be a vampire among the group. It took me by surprise. Shows that maybe I’m pretty prejudice.

I’m commenting on the growth of Eric and Bills characters. Eric has begun to grow on me I must admit, with him helping Sookie and actually going to Dallas to protect what’s his, it shows he still carries some emotion from his human years. Bill is also getting more depth to him. You get to see into more of his past at the end of the book and also his feelings on being a vampire in Dallas. He craves his own kind. That’s something Sookie will have to deal with on her own.

I’m making a text to television connection. This is something I have yet to do. The character of Eric really reminds me of Damon Salvatore from the Vampire Diaries. At the beginning of the show, Damon was void of emotion. He was a bad boy and didn’t care about anything. Eric is shown the same way. But as the show and the book progress, both characters begin to show some emotion and appear more human at times. Also, both Elena and Sookie seem to have a weak side for bad boys.
More to come! xoxo 

2 comments:

  1. Don't you find it interesting how much the books and tv show differs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to say I did know but because of the fact that I don't actually watch the tv show, I have no idea how it differs. If it wasnt so far into it maybe I'd watch it. Maybe netflix has it, then I'd watch it!

      Delete